Collecting and Identifying Red Wing PotteryIf you are new to collecting Red Wing Pottery take the time to familiarize yourself with the history of the Red Wing Potteries and Stoneware Companies. Essentially, the Red Wing Pottery category covers several potteries from Red Wing, Minnesota with the manufactures names and dates changing over time.
DATES AND IDENTIFICATION OF POTTERIES
- In 1868 David Hallem started the Red Wing Stoneware Company. This was the very first pottery of Red Wing and the stoneware produced was the primary product line. The mark used on these early pieces was a RED WING stamp under the glaze.
- Between the years 1878-1883 the Minnesota Stoneware Company was organized and started.
- In 1892 the North Star Stoneware Company opened its factory and closed in 1896, they used a raised star and the word Red Wing in their mark.
- In 1892 the Red Wing Stoneware Company and the Minnesota Stoneware Company merged to form The Red Wing Union Stoneware Company and produced stoneware up to 1920 when they introduced another pottery line that they continued to produce until about the 1940's. The Red Wing Union Stoneware Company was one of the largest producers of utilitarian stoneware items in the United States.
- In 1936 the Red Wing Union Stoneware Company changed its name to Red Wing Pottery, Inc.
- In the 1930's several very popular lines of hand painted pattern dinnerware were produced and distributed through department stores and other retail outlets.
- In the 1950's this hand painted patterned dinnerware declined in popularity and was replaced by hotel and restaurant china and wares.
- In 1967 the Red Wing Pottery plant closed its doors.
Some of the various items of stoneware produced by the Red Wing Potteries of Red Wing, Minnesota range from vase, plates, dinnerware, wall pockets, coolers, jugs, figures and trivets.